When a potential client comes to tour the birth center, sometimes they are sure that’s the route they want to go, and sometimes they are exploring their options and trying to find the right fit. Here are 7 reasons that you may want to birth at a birthing center:
1. The ability to relax - Let's face it. The bright lights, beeping machines, and incessant intrusion of strangers in your hospital room is not the best way to promote peace and relaxation. At a birth center, the entire space and experience is designed to be calm and comforting.
2. The comforts of home without being at home - Some families aren't comfortable with the idea of birthing at home, but want to birth somewhere that feels as comfortable as home. The birth center fits that bill, and it has all of the equipment, technology, and experienced care providers needed to keep you safe.
3. Freedom of movement - At the birth center you can move around freely, and even give birth in whatever position feels most comfortable for you. You aren’t restricted to the bed. Additionally, the birth center has birth balls, birth swings, and labor ladders to help you move your body into supported positions that are great for labor.
4. Water! - The birth center has deep birth pools in each room that are a lifesaver for many women. We call water “the midwife’s epidural” because it is so effective at providing pain relief! You even have the option to give birth in the pool if it feels right. Water birth has been shown to be safe for both the birthing person and the baby.
5. Support for a natural birth - You don’t have to fight with your provider about your desires for your birth. Natural birth, delayed cord clamping, immediate bonding with my baby - these and more are all the norm at the birth center, not the exception.
6. Knowing your birth team - Unlike at a hospital, you will know the midwives who will care for you during your birth. In fact, you will likely spend many hours with them over the course of your pregnancy at your relaxed 45-minute prenatal visits.
7. Cost - There's no way around the fact that finances came into play when choosing where to give birth, and the birth center is actually far cheaper than a hospital birth. The birth center is also covered by many major PPO insurance plans. All the amazing benefits, plus cheaper to boot.
It's a marvel everyone isn't having their babies at a birth center!