If you desire to have a natural birth at the hospital, one of the biggest keys to achieving this is to make sure you don't arrive at the hospital too early in labor. A monitrice can help you feel more confident that you are staying safe while actively laboring at home before heading to the hospital. A monitrice provides physical and emotional support, just like a doula:
- She assists you in preparing for and carrying out your plans for birth, wherever you are choosing to give birth
- She stays with you throughout your labor
- She provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping you get the information you need to make informed decisions
- She facilitates communication between you, your partner and your clinical care providers
- She perceives her role as nurturing and protecting your memory of your birth experience
- She encourages and supports your partner to participate at his/her comfort level
In addition, a monitrice also performs the following:
- She monitors fetal heart tones
- She checks your vital signs
- She does cervical checks to assess your progress (if you desire)
- She advises you on the best time to head to the birth center or hospital, if you are choosing to deliver there
The monitrice package at Nightingale includes:
- 3 one-hour prenatal visits in which you will discuss your desires for your birth, the process of birth, and coping techniques for labor.
- A midwife available to you by text, phone, and email starting as soon as you sign on for care.
- A midwife to come to your home to support you as soon as you feel you need her in labor. She will stay with you throughout your labor and delivery and for a few hours after the birth to help you with breastfeeding.
- 2 one-hour postpartum visits to assess you and baby, help with nursing, and review your birth experience.
Payment in full is due by 36 weeks. Payment plans are available, and many health insurance plans will reimburse a large portion of this fee (find out if your insurance covers hybrid care). We work with an excellent biller who is very experienced in getting insurance reimbursements for midwifery clients. We accept cash, check, credit card and Paypal.